Monday, August 8, 2011

August - The Month of Ups and Downs

And finally came August. It's been one heck of a summer with a lot of comings and goings, and lots of ups and downs. So August was kind of the accumulation of all of it.

Erica, Andrew and Emma moved back to their apartment. Erica was having some difficulty at the beginning with Emma eating that caused some stress. But Erica is such a loving mother and will do all that she can to make sure that Emma wants for nothing. And Andrew is so sweet to both Erica and Emma. They are such a cute little family. So therefore I had to move out of their apartment and get my stuff back into U-haul. I should get a frequent customer discount or something for the number of times I have stored my stuff there. Where did I live after that point you ask?

To Daybreak. My parents decided that they wanted to buy a place here in Utah so that whenever my mom wants to come out and be with Erica and the baby she has her own place. So they bought a little flat here and I've been here for the last month. It is a nice little place, kind of small - a glorified hotel room really. But my mom loves it and it perfectly fits their needs.

So for the month of August, my mom, my grandma and I have been spending as much time as we can with the baby. For my birthday we had a small dinner with everyone. August is a busy month in the way of birthday/anniversaries. For Erica and Andrew's anniversary we watched the baby so they could have a nice quiet dinner.

And then Uncle Darren and family came down to drop Caitlin off at BYU. So I got to spend a lot of time with them showing Caitlin around BYU. She's living at Glenwood for her first year, so that was kind of cool to visit my old stomping grounds. I'm excited that she is out here going to school. She's studying biochemistry and just got called into the Relief Society presidency. Hopefully she has a good first year.

So other than playing with the baby and spending time with mom and grandma, I got another job interview. The wife of the branch president in the Frisco YSA ward used to be in the Stake Relief Society Presidency with mom. She is a very sweet lady and called mom to see how she was doing a few weeks ago. She asked about me and if I had found of job, which my mom told her that I had not. Twenty minutes after she hung up with my mom she called back saying that her son-in-law works for the church in the Human Resource department, and that he could meet with me about possible opportunities. So I go in to interview soon and hopefully something comes out of that.

August was also the first chance I got to really think about what I want to do now that I am in Utah. So we decided one weekend to go up to Logan to Utah State University so I could look around. We took the dogs for the 2 hour drive up on day and took a little picnic. It is such a beautiful campus up there, but a little more po-dunk then I thought. It truly is an agricultural school. I got a little freaked going up to the campus, wondering if I had chosen the right path. It bothered me for two weeks or so, thinking that I had come to Utah with no real purpose. But as I have gone on the last few weeks, I think I have just been scared to commit. Because I cannot deny the feelings I felt when I found the program there and how much at peace I felt when I thought that that was the program for me. So for a while it looked like I might not go to graduate school ... but as of now, it's back on.

So August has been an ... interesting month. Poor dad has been in Detroit for most of it while we've been here in Utah. Erica and Andrew started school and are trying to learn how best to manage their different schedules. Luckily that means that mom and I get to babysit baby Emma twice a week. I absolutely love being an aunt!

No comments: