In the beginning, there was the internet and the creation of blogging. But to me, blogging seemed to be the one thing I would never follow in the technology universe. It was seen as something Emo kids did to vent their problems about the world in an 'artistic' way with depressing poems and thoughtful pictures of them contemplating the meaning of life will looking at a dead rose. Then my own personal universe took a hit. My mother started a blog. Yes, I will admit, the inspiration for this blog was my mother. Pathetic, yes. But it is not how the journey begins, but where it ends up. So in the wise words of my room mate:
Lets do it to it.
Technology-Not For Old People:
Facebook used to be a place for college students, the new sanctuary where we could be ourselves without fear of laughter or ridicule from parents. But this freedom would not last for long. I am sorry to announce it is now gone. Parents are invading Facebook. Is this the new mid-life crisis? Resorting to an internet profile with applications like "Who thinks You're Hot?" and "Truth or Dare" seems like a pretty big hit. Therefore I propose a new social contract for the human society-
A New Social Contract for the Proper Use of Technology:
- Technology is forever changing, and will be like this for the rest of time; There is no use trying to keep up with the changes
- What is cool for you kids will NEVER be cool for you as an adult; Once again, there is no use in even trying
- Technology like Facebook have lifespans that must be respected. There will come a time where it is necessary to end communication with the one 'cute' guy you sat next to in that one class at that one time
- This contract of technology does not prevent parents or older generations from using technology, there are (a few) legitimate needs that can be argued in support of (though I can not think of any at the moment), but this contract does not prevent the ridicule from younger generations, temper tantrums or rolling of the eyes
- As we are all part of the human family, we all take part of this social contract
Compilation of Thoughts for the Day:
Sad day today. Took my last nap in my old apartment on the couch. Sadly, old couch more comfortable than new bed. My life is at an interesting stage now. Second year of college done, and will graduate in another two years. Where did my life go? is a constant question. Scary thought, sister starts college in 4 months. Scary, yes. My room mate got married yesterday too. That was an interesting experience.
Life is getting put into perspective, but I do not know if I like the view yet.
Life never turns out the way you want it to. Why? Still trying to figure that out for myself. Will get back to you when I find the answer.
Life is getting put into perspective, but I do not know if I like the view yet.
Life never turns out the way you want it to. Why? Still trying to figure that out for myself. Will get back to you when I find the answer.
Favorite Shakespeare quote of the Day:
The mission statement of this blog, if you will.
Favorite Song of the Day (or the Song stuck in my head Today):
Yes, I am a Mormon. It's Sunday, give me a break. Have sung this song 3 times today, so its still stuck in my head
Political Thought for the Day-Why Machiavelli Would Never be a Mormon:
"To be or not to be, that is the question"
The mission statement of this blog, if you will.
Favorite Song of the Day (or the Song stuck in my head Today):
"How Firm a Foundation"
Yes, I am a Mormon. It's Sunday, give me a break. Have sung this song 3 times today, so its still stuck in my head
Political Thought for the Day-Why Machiavelli Would Never be a Mormon:
"Since a ruler, then, needs to know how to make good use of beastly qualities, he should take as his models among the animals both the fox and the lion, for the lion does not know how to avoid traps, and the fox is easily overpowered by wolves. So you must be a fox when it comes to suspecting a trap, and a lion when it comes to making the wolves turn tail."
-Machiavelli, The Prince
You cannot knock Machiavelli completely though. At times, he can be seen as a genius. This, I have always thought was a good example of advice I can take. It does not quite follow the LDS thought of being "be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves" (Matthew 10:16), but nobody is perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment