Monday, April 28, 2008

What Happens When You Let Your Mind Wander

If only Life were Like a Disney Movie:

Then today at work, I would have had little chipmunks placing mints around Chipman hall, little birds would have carried the cleaning buckets from Taylor hall, and I would have been singing a happy little tune without breaking a sweat. And at the end of the day, I would have my handsome prince take me home on his stallion. Oh how wonderful the world would be.
But in reality, it never turns out that way. Princes do not come singing in wells or galloping in to rescue you on their white stallions and whisk you away to their magnificent castle where you will live happily ever after.
Its kind of depressing as a girl to realize this. You come to realize that all those Disney movies you watched religiously as little girls give you an unrealistic outlook on love. But there is something better I feel we 'real princesses' get in reality that I have just recognized in the last few days. Instead of those knights in shining armor that can carry a tune and sweep you off your feet with a single look, we have the 'average' Joe who may not have the castle or the horse or the pitch, but have the decency to care about you as a human being and not as a piece of finely crafted .... (fill in your favorite derogatory phrase here).
So to the few men who have helped me see the light in the last few days - kudos to you. (Literally, if you come find me, I will give you a box of kudos.)

If only Life were like a Soap Opera:

I would change the channel.

My Problems with the phrase "If Only ...":

In reality, is it ever due to one 'only'?

Political Thought for the Day:

"... you will find that the citizens of Rome were a good deal more afraid of the consequences of breaking their oaths than of breaking the laws, for they were more afraid of God's power than man's."
-Machiavelli Discourses

I have decided to provide both sides of the argument about Machiavelli. He does not quite praise the fact that religion helps man to realize the great power of God, but he at least acknowledges it, and thats a start.

Shakespeare Quote of the Day:

"O most pernicious woman!
O villain, villain, smiling damned villain!"
-Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

At least we do it with a smile.
Side note to "Shakespeare Quote of the Day:"
As conference assistants, we are preparing for Women's Conference, and after the horror stories we have heard, I think this will sum up the rest of the week very well. Look to blog for continuing updates.

Song of the Day:

"Whistle While You Work"

See above "If only life were ..." and you'll probably get the logical connection.

No comments: