Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Story About Love

So after a long Single Awareness Day, I have looked back over the last few years to reflect on the memories that grace this day, and have come up with laughs, tears, and a few questions along the way.

There was freshman year, when I was asked out on a 'friend' date by a good friend. I didn't have plans, and it was a dear friend who had asked me. After grabbing some food and bringing it back to my place, we settled down on the couch to watch a movie. I guess we got too comfortable, because part way through the movie, my 'date' ended up on the kitchen floor, asleep. What is a girl to do? So I stayed and watched the movie. The most awkward part of it was that another male friend of mine dropped by, and decided to watch the movie with me. So, in my mind, this thought process is going through my head a million miles per second:

Am I on a date with guy #1?

If so ... why is he asleep on the floor?

And on the other hand, guy #2 is here watching the movie I started with guy #1.

Ergo ...

What am I to do?!?!?!?!

My solution: go to a dance party next door before the movie was even over. Guy #1 came over about half an hour later when he woke up. Guy #2 came over after the movie. Glad I wasn't in the room when the two of them realized they were the only two there. Wonder if they even noticed I was gone.

The next year went a lot better. Well, at least a step in the right direction. The weekend before Valentine's ... sorry, Single Awareness Day (also known as SAD) there was a stake dance. I went with a couple of friends, and had a wonderful time. I spent the actual night watching a chick flick with my Relief Society. Then spent the rest of the night with 'the' apartment of guys I always hung out with. We told car crash stories, and got dating advice from our lovely panel. It was a great night. However, two weeks later ... well, let's just say there is one day that I will never forget, yet it is one day I sometimes regret.

Now, we move on to this year. I don't know if it was a regression or not, but I didn't even leave my apartment. Sorry, I lied. I gave the car to my sister so she could go out to dinner with her boyfriend. (He flew into town to see her as a surprise. My mom kept it a secret for three weeks ... that's impressive if you know my mom.) Other than that, I stayed in my apartment, paid bills, watched movies, and worked on my position paper for MUN. I also contemplated about the original chick flicks -- Shakespearean theater. They are the original romantic comedy. Much Ado, Taming of the Shrew ... Twelfth Night for goodness sakes!

However, there was something special that happened tonight. I got a call from both my mother and my grandmother wishing me a Happy Valentine's Day. I do have to say I appreciated the gesture, and its nice to know that there is someone who cares. However, to those that read this blog, I would like to point something out.

This has been the third year that I have been away at school. Also the third year that I have been single and away. But this has been the only year that I remember in which I got separate phone calls wishing me a Happy Valentine's Day. I usually talk to my family on the weekends, but not only did I receive separate Valentine's Day calls, they were phone calls making sure that I wasn't sad or depressed. Like I said before, I enjoyed the gesture, and I loved hearing from my family today. However, I have been fine the last two years on Valentine's Day and did not get the pep talks. So I don't know if my family knows something that I don't or what. But, even after my little rebellion, I am grateful for a family who loves and cares for me.

So what is my goal for next Valentine's Day? ....

Not needing or getting the pep talk .... and maybe leaving my apartment. Baby steps though .... baby steps.

No comments: