And I already miss home.
It was really relaxing and rejuvenating to go home this last week. It was full of good movies, great food, and even better company. Really the title of this post describe the best parts of the week. The week was highlighted with eating really good food. It is amazing how much better food tastes when it is prepared for 5 people, as compared to 500. My mom made me her 'famous' recipes, which seemed to include everything she cooked for me. It was indeed delicious ... and one day will probably be truly famous. One of the best meals had to be, by far, going to Panera Bread. I LOVE that place, and have not been for somewhere around 4 years probably. It made my day. That plus Cheesecake Factory, Macaroni Grill, Red Robin, and other delicious food made it a certainly tasty week.
Then came the movies. There were four movies that I watched back home ... and there are three that I would highly recommend.
Star Trek :
I went into this movie with very low expectations. (Sorry J.J. - I repent of my sins) I mean, I expected it to kind of be the Transformers of the summer -- a blockbuster that wasn't bad, but not entirely stimulating. And I am happy to report, I was wrong. It was a blockbuster-type movie, but it was genuinely good. I really enjoyed the fact that even though I am not a Trekkie, I was able to pick up on the story. There were several instances where I knew something from the show that made it extra enjoyable (example: "Beam me up Scottie"). Overall ... a movie I would enjoy watching again, and one that I felt I did not waste my (father's) money on. [Plus ... there's Chris Payne ... HOT]Rating: Two Spock Eyebrows Way Up
Frost/Nixon :
I absolutely loved this movie. It isn't a thriller in the sense that cars blow up and it takes the hero until the last possible second to disarm a bomb. Rather, it is a very suspenseful (well ... not really because we all know how it ends ... I mean the climax was in the trailer for goodness sakes) in the sense that it is these two very powerful people in the ring, and everything is riding on who 'wins' this fight.The actors were simply fabulous, and the dialogue was thrilling. Now, I do have to say that I am a political scientist ... so I am a little more excited about this movie than most other people. But it is certainly a movie I think all should watch, because it was very conflicting.
I feel bad for Frost, because throughout the movie I never felt that he wanted to 'hurt' Nixon. I feel bad for Nixon because he has this human element that you don't find in many things about Nixon. It was very emotional and very thrilling.
Rating: Way up there ... like Frost's hair and Nixon's ego
JFK :
I have been meaning to see this movie for a very long time. Ever since my family visited the 6th Floor museum for the first time, I have wanted to see this movie. My mother always told me to see it ... but I just never got around to it, until this week. It's a long (long) movie, but it was totally worth it.It is an interesting premise, feeding the fire on all the conspiracy theories that are floating around the assassination of the president. But it was certainly interesting to watch, and certainly a believable premise. It was especially cool that I knew where they were talking about, and had actually been to the site in person.
[That plus Costner and the guy who played Oswald (I love that guy!) are pretty handsome]
It's kind of sad to compare Dallas to other places I lived. When I lived in D.C., we took family to the White House, Vietnam Memorial. When family came to Detroit, we took them to the Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, Tiger's Stadium. However, when family comes to Dallas ... we take them to where a president was assassinated. Sad isn't it?
Wow .. side track. Anyway, it is a really good movie, once again a political thriller. I probably would recommend splitting it up into two viewings so you aren't sitting there for three hours. Good political thriller. Very interesting political set up. And draws some interesting thoughts for President Obama today. (If he tries to disrupt too much of the status quo ... what's going to happen to him? )
Rating: Three stars (sorry ... nothing witty for this one ... its about a presidential assassination, have to show some respect)
Angels and Demons :
Unfortunately ... this is a movie I do not recommend seeing. It was alright. Better than Da Vinci Code movie wise. But it was way too violent. It brought up some interesting ideas, and in some senses I liked it a lot. But it was simply too violent for it to be a movie that is enjoyed over and over again.The scenery and background were lovely ... and Tom Hank's hair was better in this movie. The movie didn't get lost trying to explain every little detail like in the previous movie. It certainly was a thriller ... but I keep coming back to that one word - violent. It had too many gruesome deaths ... and almost no other purpose for them than to fill up the time.
The movie was interesting and more of a thriller than the last movie. This movie was made as a blockbuster ... not a statement maker. This is made even clearer by the fact that there was no scandal/controversy leading up to its premiere like the last movie. Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, but there you have it.
Rating: A little angel, and a whole lot of demons
So movie wise, there were some winners and some losers. But probably the best part of the week was being able to spend Mother's Day with my momma. I have yet to miss a Mother's Day. I was home the summer after my freshman year, and for the last two years I have been able to come home and visit during that week. I love my mom so much, and am so glad to call her not only my mother but my best friend. She is my 'wicked witch' and my dearest friend. I loved being home with her all week and spending so much time with her. She does so much for me and I am glad that I got to give her a real hug and a kiss for Mother's Day. Second best thing about coming home on Mother's Day ... is that because I am visiting a family ward that day, I get the free Mother's Day gift because I am a "Single Adult Woman." :) Rock!
I look so much like my mother ... :) . Also, I realized after we took the picture, that really, the next time me and my mother will take professional pictures together will be when I'm getting married ... weird.
Then ... there is the puppster. I love that dog. He is the cutest thing on the planet. I totally spoiled him when I was home ... walks, belly rubs, yummy food in his bowl. He is just so cute. I especially miss the wake up kisses that he would give in the mornings. He would always drag my parents into the room to lift him up on the bed ... and then proceed to wiggle his cute tush and give kisses until I was awake. I miss him terribly ... I mean ... come on, how could you not smile when you look at that face?!?!
All and all it was a fabulous trip back to the Lonestar State. Lots of fun ... and lots of new memories to reminisce with. Luckily for me I don't have to wait too long to see mom and dad again. Can't wait for them to come out for the reunion this July.
Well world ... I think that I all I have to say for the day. Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment