Saturday, August 15, 2009

Let Me Not

The last couple of days, I have had William Shakespeare's Sonnet 116 stuck in my head. I even memorized it one night, just to make sure I had it right. It is a beautiful poem about the characteristics of love. I posted it on my blog, down on the side. But it wouldn't load right, so I am going to retype it here in the correct format. Plus, I'm going to add the clip from Shakespeare Retold's Much Ado About Nothing, in which Beatrice explains the poem beautifully. I love the clip so much because at this point she and Benedick are beginning to fall in love with each other, and you can feel it in this scene. I love that the director for this movie decided to add this sonnet in about love, because it describes Benedick's & Beatrice's love perfectly. So ... anyway ... enjoy the ramblings of my mind.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be
taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and
cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not in his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error, and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd.
- William Shakespeare


No comments: