Sunday, January 8, 2012

Since I've Been Gone

I guess it has been a while since I've posted anything.  I'm really good at the beginning of the year and posting often but once the year starts going I always fail to be as good.  And the last few months have been pretty exciting.  So let me give a brief overview, since I have failed to keep any of this updated.

In September, we didn't get to go to the Shakespeare festival.  The day before we left, Erica called and said that Emma had a fever and that they were going to go to the doctor.  It was a good thing that they went because Emma was a sick little girl.  She went from bad to worst in the course of a few hours, so the doctors sent Erica and Andrew straight to the hospital.  Emma had a unitary tract infection because her kidney had not properly formed when she was in the womb.  So of course, we couldn't go to Cedar City with Emma in the hospital, so we stayed in Provo instead.  There were a lot of tender mercies that weekend, with Emma's Medicare coming through and Andrew being home that day to take Erica to the doctor for his only available appointment of the day.  If Erica and Andrew hadn't taken Emma then, the infection might have spread to her brain or spinal cord.  It was very sad to see Emma surrounded by monitors and tubes.  I have always been grateful for modern medicine, but I had a renewed appreciation this year.  When grandma and mom do family history work, and they find these families who lose children so young and unexpected, it makes me wonder how close we were to losing Emma if there was no medical attention.  She is such a sweet little baby that makes me so happy when I see her.  The thought that she might not have been here today is a scary thought.  But thank goodness for good doctors, and medical tests that helped tell us what was wrong.  Emma is doing well now, and its just something Erica and Andrew will have to monitor and keep track of.

After that adventure, I guess the next big thing was Thanksgiving.  We were lucky to have Andrew, Erica and Emma for Thanksgiving this year.  So for the first time since 2005, we were all together as a family for Thanksgiving.  We also had Caitlin with us because she was studying at BYU.  Dad flew in the day of Thanksgiving, but it all worked out.  It was a fun weekend, with watching the Muppet movie and spending time as a family.  Because it was Andrew's parents turn to have them for Christmas, this was our time to have some fun.

Mom and grandma had driven out here with Willoughby, so they stayed for a while longer.  We spent time with Erica and Emma, and did some Christmas shopping.  We also had a 'mini' Christmas with Emma, where we essentially watched Emma open a gift.  But is was fun nevertheless.  After a few weeks mom, grandma, Willoughby, Caitlin and I drove back to Michigan for Christmas.  It was a LONG drive for 4 people and a dog in a 5 passenger car.  But we survived.  Uncle Darren and family came down the next day to pick up Caitlin.  We had lots of fun with them, seeing that it had been a couple of years since we saw them.  Actually the last time we saw them was 2008 or 2009  in Texas when they for Christmas.  We watched movies, sang Christmas carols ... missed Erica, Andrew and Emma.  It was hard not having them there for Christmas.  Darren and the family left the next day in order to spend Christmas with Caitlin in Canada.  For our family, we decided to spend Christmas on Saturday night [Christmas Eve], so we didn't have to worry about it on Sunday.  We opened presents, had our turkey dinner, then went to go see We Bought a Zoo.  It was a great Christmas.

Then ... I decided it was time to get my butt in gear and figure out what I should do.  I decided that I should finally get some of my job applications done.  So I spent the week putting in applications.  And I finally decided that I should go back to my original plan, and apply for graduate school.  And everything has worked out, which hadn't been happening the last 6 months.

Within a week, I got a job as a nanny, took the GRE [I had decided to take it 4 days before the test, and only studied for a day ... and got a pretty good score considering], and submitted my application to USU.  After 6 months of not knowing what to do, I finally have direction.  I start tomorrow as the nanny, so I am a little nervous about starting something new but it should be good.  The family is very sweet so I'm excited.  Now I just have to wait until I hear back about my application.  Here's hoping for good news!

No comments: