Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Social Commentary in an Unusual Place

Movies are Art, I Told You So:

Art is something that makes you think. It creates discussion and provides commentary on the world surrounding it. A moment to contemplate the meaning of existence. It is something that takes what you believe and makes you question it, but ultimately helps you to come to your own ideas and opinions more strongly. It is something more than something 'beautiful' or 'pretty.' It does not even need to be unique. It just has to affect your soul, make you think about human nature and what our potential and destiny is beyond this life. Art can come in a variety of places, and I was quite surprised by where I found my latest exploration of the human soul, Batman The Dark Knight. I just have to say I agree with others I have talked to already that most of the themes present in Dark Knight are a little more sophisticated for the average American. That would explain the violence and, I quote, "freaky stuff" to earn its cash.

The movie speaks so profoundly on the sad condition that we find our world in today. The sacrifice that so many of us are unwilling to make. What limits are there to protect the good from the evil? How far are we willing and able to go? Bruce Wayne is what we all want to do, but Gotham despises him because he goes beyond the moral realm of 'correctness' to protect them, which in itself is an ironic dilemma.

But what does the Joker say about our society? As Alfred puts in, "Some men just want to watch the world burn." The fact that Joker has no plan, no logic to his evil ways is a scary reality that we face today in the world. How do you reason with someone who is so far away from reason? The interesting thing I saw at the end of the movie is that the Joker is not destroyed. Batman cannot destroy the Joker. As the Joker puts it, "You complete me." All the girls in the theater bursted out in laughter, recongizing the line from the chick flick Jerry Maguire. But there is truth to what the Joker is saying about the situation the protaganoist and the antigonist find themselves in. The one cannot survive without the other. Chaos needs order, and good needs evil.

But what about Harvey Dent? A good man gone bad? There are examples in the movie for the case built by Hobbes and against. Harvey Dent is one that seems to support Hobbes' theory that all man resort to the most basic of animal instincts when there is no order. Dent/Two Face seems bent on making the world pay for the pain he feels. Are all human beings the same, born with the two faces that Harvey displayed so physically? The movie, though very dark in most aspects, does shed some hope in the bleakness. The Joker conducts a 'Social Experiment' as he calls in on the innocent citizens of Gotham, placing them against the criminals that infested their city. Who should come to their demise? The innocent civilans because of the (obviously) evil nature of the criminals? Or should the citizens sacrifice the 'evil' in the city to save themselves? When the moment of truth comes, neither happen. The Joker is finally shown that all the world is not like him. That humans do show their potential within chaos, that there is light during the darkest part of the night.

One of the most intriguing characters would have to be Bruce Wayne. There are so many dimensions to his persona, and so many interesting discussions just waiting to happen. That he tests the city and his friends the the edge of their faith and trust, and rewards them in the end for their loyalty. How about the fact that he is only HUMAN. There is no intrisic superhuman power given to Batman. He is an ordinary man, driven by something more. But even in the movie, they present the question, is that always the best solution? Is it always morally ethical? Is Batman a misunderstood hero or a sypathetic villian?

Other than these ramblings, I just have to say that was one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen. Cinematically speaking it was beautiful. The acting was superb. The story line was intellectual and interesting. Wow is about all I can say at the moment. Ironically I was skeptical when the movie began, but by the end, I could barely breath.

Song of the Day (or One More Thought From John Mayer):

"I just found out there is no such thing as the real world"
- No Such Thing, John Mayer
How do we know we are truly in the real world? What is the real world? Thank you John for opening another can of worms.

Political Thought of the Day:

Dark Knight had a lot of things a political science nut like me could dig into. Is chaos really the best goverment system? Anarchy better than order? Are humans naturally evil or good?

A few updates in the life of Amanda:

So I guess I should shed some light on what is going on in my life ... though I doubt anyone reads the jumbled mess that I call a blog. Summer is going well. I am just hanging out here in the wonderful world of Helaman Halls. I love my job or at least as much as I can enjoy having my social and my work life be one and the same. The Fall is going to be exciting. I am so stoked for my classes and to start a new semester in University Villa. Hopefully my excitment is not ill placed.

And of course being the person that I am, I have a few rantings about dating. I am sick and tired of 'hanging out.' I am annoyed with insincerity and cowardness. If a guy has a fun time talking to a girl, and there is obviously something there, why wouldn't he want to spend one on one time with her? Huh? It is the cop-out to 'hang out.' It takes no effort WHATSOEVER to hang out with a girl. You want to impress us? Want to show us you're a man? Ask us out on dates! You will be surprised how far that goes. 'Hanging out' will only get you so far, and most likely get the girl angry at you than to help her like you more. You play with a girl's heart long enough, you will get to know the true meaning of "hell hath no wrath like a woman."

Also, don't play 'safetys'. If it obvious that there is something there, either tell her honestly and back away. Or do something about it. Is it really that hard? We don't bite! We don't have cooties, and haven't since the second grade. If you have any questions, just let me know.

1 comment:

bec said...

I finally found you after eons of relentless searching! NOW, here's what I have to say: Batman was amazing, the joker maniacal, and anyone who didn't like that movie is a lunatic. That is all!

(Also, your commentary was really insightful. I enjoyed reading it! Ever considered doing political movie reviews?!) :)