Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Few Good Thoughts

Song of the Day:

And you don't know why but you're dying to try
you wanna kiss the girl
- Sebestian, Kiss the Girl, The Little Mermaid

Yes, I may be an adult, but I can still ask for the Little Mermaid for my birthday and like it.

Shakespeare Quote(s) of the Day:

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on; and our little life is rounded with a sleep."
- Prospero, The Tempest, Act IV Scene I

"If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumb'red here
While these visions did appear and this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream."
- Puck, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act V Scene I

I love how Shakespeare deals with the topic of dreams. These are some of my favorite quotes. To think of the lines between reality and dreams is a mind blowing concept.

Political Thought for the Day: Mormonism and National Security

Two seperate polar issues, or can there be harmony between what is preached over the pulpit and what is practiced by our nation's government? A very difficult question, but there is a book that I have been reading that has certainly helped me. Its called Wielding the Sword while Proclaiming Peace. It was for my National Security class, a collection of articles written by high ranking military and government officials who are also good standing Mormons. It has certainly been food for thought over the last few weeks.

Favorite Movie (at the moment): The Untouchables

A rediscovered favorite movie of late. It is the story of Elliot Ness and the down fall of Al Capone. It's a good movie, but the last minutes of the movie are my favorite, and have given me a new motto in life.

"Never Stop. Never stop fighting till the fight is done."

Ness is such a great example of how a good guy can still exist in the system today, even with all the corruption around him. It gives the rest of us a little hope.

Now to end with a quote by Sean Connery from the same movie:

"Here endeth the lesson."

No comments: