Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Chronicles of Amanda: Part II

Well, that trip is done. I can't believe that I just spent only 10 days in New York. It feels like its been a life time. It was an amazing experience and I am so glad that I was able to participate in this opportunity of a life time. There are a lot more photos on Facebook (and I am pretty most of the people who read my blog also are on Facebook). I will go over the highlights of the trip here ... and should hopefully go into deeper detail later ... not when I should be studying for my finals or sleeping.



First of all, I am happy to announce, that once again, for the fifth year, BYU is the 'national champion' of the National Model United Nations Competition. Essentially, both of the countries we represented [Russian Federation and Ethiopia] got the highest awards. Also our position papers for both teams got awards. And on an individual level, me and my partner got recognized as one of the best delegate teams on our committee. I will have to say that it was a great weekend for BYU!

The next best part of the week would have to be going to go see WICKED on Broadway. It took my breathe away! One of the greatest experiences of my life. I can't stop listening to the soundtrack now. My friend Ashley got us awesome tickets ... and it was an amazing night! If I didn't study Political Science, I would so go into theater.


Another fun day was going to the Brooklyn Bridge. It was cloudy and dreary, but it made a great atmosphere for artsy pictures. Once again, to look at my weak attempts of art, check my album on Facebook.

I had to make a stop at Central Park. It is just like the movies/TV shows. I wish there had been more leaves on the trees, but it was still beautiful nonetheless.

The first day I was there ... literally after getting off a red-eye flight ... I got to go to the Mets game. It was great, especially because they were playing the Red Sox's. It was awesome, especially because in the first inning there was a Grand Slam. Final Score: 9 to 3. A good way to start the trip.



Our hotel was literally on Times Square. The first night I got back to Provo I couldn't fall asleep right away because it was silent. I was so used to hearing taxis honking outside my window, sirens going off, and just the bustle of Times Square. I mean it was packed any time of the day or night. New York is really the city that never sleeps.

This picture was in honor of my first subway ride ... the picture of me didn't turn out well ... but these are the guys I went to the game with the first day.

One of the other first things we did was go down to Rockefeller Center. It was amazing ... (shout out to my mom's favorite show 30 rock ... )




The lovely ladies I explored the city with.

I mean I didn't even get to do a small portion of the things I wanted to do! There is something to do every second of the day. But I had a paper to finish .. a competition to win. But I still did a lot. I also found a lot of amazing places to eat.

I hope that one day I will be able to get back to the Big Apple to continue my exploration of the city. And if anyone makes a trip out East, let me know, and I'll inform you of awesome places to eat and amazing things to do!

I think its time for me to go to bed now ... so I will leave this post at the amazing length that it is ... and go to bed. More tomorrow ... or maybe after finals. I'll get back to you. Night!

No comments: