B STANDS FOR --
- The Beatles: I could very simply pick a Beatles song for 23 out of the 26 letters (Q, X, and Z might be a little difficult) and just call it good. But to leave room for other choices, I have decided to just put it all in one category. The Beatles ... what can you say about the Beatles. They are simply ... magnificent. One of the reasons they are probably so great is that we never saw their decline, but anyway you slice it -- the Beatles changed the music industry forever. My parents got Beatles Rockband this past year, so its been fun to have an almost daily excuse to get a little more Beatles into my life. It's even helped me appreciate some of the music I simply skipped over. So if it's been a while since you listened to the Beatles, do yourself a favor and listen to one of their albums this week.
- Boston - Augustana: One of my favorite songs. I love the city of Boston, so from the start this song has me wrapped around its little finger. I love how the song talks about starting over. Right now in my life I feel as if that is what I need. If only I could jump on a plane and leave everything behind. I feel antsy whenever I stay in one place for too long. If life could be perfect, I would move every two years -- all over the country and all over the world. I love the idea of moving somewhere, and no one knowing how many stupid things you did in the last place or anything of the sort. There are some beautiful lines in the song, and it is hauntingly beautiful. Everyone started listening to it a few years ago, but I loved it from the first second I heard it and there was nothing that was going to change that.
- Back Here/Back to Your Heart/Bye Bye Bye - BBMak/Backstreet Boys/NSYNC: Gotta love a triple threat. I decided that these three songs pretty much sum up my love of 90's boy bands. That is when I started becoming aware of the music industry - and it certainly made an impact on my life. Whenever I hear the first few beats of these songs I can remember all the lines, and half of the dance moves that me and my friends came up with in basements whenever we would play. And I know that every girl who even remembers this time in their live are in the same predicament that I'm in. But, for the 90's boy bands I am willing to look like fool in order to enjoy the beat.
- Breach: Once again, my politics background might be biasing me towards this movie. Or the fact that I actually remember this happening when I was 13. But whatever the case maybe - I think this is an excellent movie. It's suspenseful without being scary, its dramatic without being pathetic, and its intelligent without being, well over intelligent. I really just love this movie. It is amazing how one man could do so much damage to the intelligence community and his country -- right under the noses of his supervisors. It is a case that will be studied for years to come in how to protect American interests. Once again, it might be my background that draws me to this movie. But I would still recommend it to everyone.
- Bourne Ultimatium: This is a polarizing film. Half of my friends absolutely hate the camera work on this film because they say they felt sick watching the movie. The other half of my friends absolutely loved it. I'm in the loved it camp. I think the camera work was simply ingenious! It was so realistic and captivating. I loved the entire Bourne series, but especially the last two done by Paul Greengrass. I loved the gritty camera work. And the fact that Matt Damon looks stunning in all of them is just an added bonus. I was actually quite ticked when I saw the preview for the third movie because they showed scenes from the second one and called it good. I was ticked - thinking the third one was going to be terrible. However, my faith was restored. I saw this for my 19th birthday - midnight showing August 3rd, 2007. Man - I loved that movie.
- Bandits: You will thank yourself when you watch this movie. Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thorton are genius in this movie! The twists, the love triangle -- they are all worth it. The movie is hilarious, the plot is interesting, and the characters are charming. I simply love this movie. It's a random movie, though I think it should be more than that. I'm sad more people do not know about this movie. So, do yourself another favor and after you listen to the Beatles -- watch this movie. (Your welcome ... again).
- Brave New World - Aldous Huxley: An interesting book, but I really liked it. It spoke a lot about society. Once you get past some of the other things, which some people can't get over - it really has a lot to say about what goes on today. There is a lot of pressure to do things today that are pleasing on a temporary and carnal level, but don't feed us deep down. Yet, if people don't know about the world outside of their own little corner of it, then its hard to teach them. It is a sad commentary on today's world, without being obvious or flashy.
- Bourne Identity - Robert Ludlum: I can't speak for the rest of the series, but Bourne Identity is so amazing. It is very different than the movies, well, because it was written in a different time. The Vietnam War was still fresh in people's minds, and Carlos was perceived to be a major threat. When they made the movie, these were not movie selling threats. However, they did take a lot from the book. I thought it was an extremely intellectual book - deeper than I had expected it to be. But once again, it was an excellent read. Read the book because its different than the movie, watch the movie because its different than the book.
- The Bet - Anton Chekhov: Okay, so this one is kind of random, but it is a story I remember reading when I was in school. It is a story about two men, one who bets the other that ten years in solidarity confinement does effect a man. So they make the bet, and one of the men goes into seclusion for 10 years, (I think it was 10 years, its been a while since I've read the story) ... but I won't tell you the end of the story. It is an interesting story, about what man can take. Even in school I remember this story impacting me. I am going to have to go back and reread it again, and see what meaning I can glean from its pages a few years down the road.

No comments:
Post a Comment