Monday, March 8, 2010

A is for ...

So every once in a while I get a stroke of genius. They're rare and far between, but every blue moon a good idea pops into my head. And I do have to say, I think this would be one of them.

I am going to go down the alphabet ... for a couple of reasons. First to prove that I know my alphabet for those who doubt me. But, second and most important of all to list the movies, books and songs that I love. One blog that I follow is listing her top 100 songs ever, and I thought that was a good idea. But then I realized that as much as I like music, I love movies and books too. So, therefore - we're going to throw the whole mess together and call it good. It may take a while to get through the 26 lists, but it will motivate me to write a little more in the blog.


So ... without further ado ... the first part of the 26 part series ....

(drum roll please ....)


A STANDS FOR --

  • "ABC" - Jackson 5: What better way to start off a alphabet inspired list without the classic alphabet song its self. It's a classic any way you slice it. I mean, it teaches spelling, counting, scales and math, as well as the alphabet! It's a feel good song for me. *Moment of silence for the death of the king of pop* -- another good way to remember a legend (before he was creepy).
  • "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Marvin Gaye: One of my favorite cinematic moments ever is in Remember the Titans when they play this song. It's another classic. And the beginning is iconic - you know the second it starts, its going to be good.
  • "Ave Maria" - Franz Schubert: This song touches my heart from the first note to the last. Any version, any time. It is simply and hauntingly beautiful to me. It's moving and speaks to my soul. I don't know what else I can say.


  • Aladdin - Simply one of my favorite movies of all time. I am therefore extremely mad at myself for not getting it before it went back in the Disney vault. (Darn you Disney Vault! shaking fists in the air). Robin Williams is a genius, and makes the movie ridiculous funny, even to someone in their twenties.
  • Alice in Wonderland - (Disney version, though I'm guessing that the new Tim Burton version could also be included once I finally get my butt to a theater) Another simple classic. I loved that movie as a child. It's funny, it's got action, yet it has whimsical features that are necessary for any good flick.
  • A Few Good Men - One of my favorites, hands down. First of all, a cocky Tom Cruise - always a bonus in my book. And it's a court room drama, with actual drama. "You can't handle the truth" is only one of the memorable lines from the movie, and it is written by one of the bests screenwriters Aaron Sorkin. (Heck, another double letter - I rock tonight!) I just love this movie - one of my best buys in my opinion.

  • As You Like It - William Shakespeare: I will have to apologize up front, there will be a lot of Shakespeare on here, but I can't help it - he is simply one of my favorite authors. This play is one that I enjoy because it has some of the most famous lines for Shakespeare, as well as some of his most memorable characters. To sum it up: "All the world's a stage" by the melancholy Horatio which just speaks beautifully to the stages of life.
  • Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand: I feel as if I should get double points for this one because both start with 'A', but I digress. Still haven't finished the over 1,000 page book, but I got enough under my belt that I say it has to be one of my favorites. It is strange to read a book written in a time so different from our own, yet speak so detailed about today's ethical and moral problems. This and Anthem are some of my favorite books and they are simply marvelous.
  • Audacity to Win - David Plouffe: Had to put a politics book up here - but it is a good one. It's written by Obama's campaign manager. Oh ... its good. That's all I have to say. I couldn't put it down. It is so fun to read the inside stories of the campaign and remember back to the dates and primaries in the book and just remembering how glued I was to the television for 2 months. Maybe I'm just a freak, but it is amazing. It's an election for the history books, that's for sure. Pretty sure this book is in my top 10.

*Now as a disclaimer, these are not the only things that start with 'A' in these categories that I like/admire/love/what have you. There are so many more I could add, especially in the music area. Maybe I will do the 100 songs thing one of these days, but I think 9 things is enough for each letter - I mean, that's going to be 234 things I'm going to have to find so I think I'll make it easier on myself.


And for added visual pleasure - a collage of the aforementioned goodies:




Cheers!

No comments: