Saturday, November 13, 2010

So One Day Almost Three Years Ago ...

I sat down at my computer and started this blog. It's kind of sad how it's taken me this long to reach this momentous occasion ... but I have reached my 100th post.

I've been thinking how I would like to 'celebrate' this achievement ... and I've thought of several ideas:
  • Top 100 Movies that I own ... yes, I have enough to do that post and more
  • Top 100 Books that I own ... once again, I have enough to do that list a couple times over
  • Top 100 Songs ... I can do that list about 100 times too

But being the Thanksgiving season ... I thought I would list 100 things that I am thankful for. They are not in any particular order -- I don't think I have enough stamina to do that too ... maybe another time. I'll give explanations to some of them, but some are more just for my acknowledgment more than anything else.

So here we go, and once again in no particular order --

1. My mother
2. My father
3. A room to sleep in
4. My health [when I have it]
5. My puppies
6. My younger sister Erica
7. My brother-in-law Andrew
8. All my extended family: grandmothers, uncles, aunts, cousins
9. The opportunity to have attended both of my grandfather's funerals -- Both of my experiences with death in the family have been bittersweet. But I have had the opportunity, through what only can be tender mercies, have been able to attend the funerals, to grieve, and say goodbye to those that have passed on, which has been an incredible blessing to me.
10. The Temple
11. The Gospel
12. The Savior
13. A BYU degree
14. My body
15. My legs [the one part of my body that I actually like]
16. My hair -- This one does merit an explanation. For those who do know me know that this has not always been true. I've had a hate-hate relationship with my hair ever since middle school when it curled. People would either tell me they loved my hair (when it was curly) or they would think I looked beautiful (when my hair was straight). So I felt I either had to let my hair be the star or fight myself with a straightener to feel pretty. But not anymore. Thanks to an understanding hair dresser ... I am finally grateful for my thick, curly hair.
17. Memories of my Grandpa Ferry
18. The stories of my Grandpa Leifson before he got sick, and before I knew him
19. Humanities
20. Art museums
21. Books
22. Movies that make me think
23. Allyson Kay (Bullock) Salgado
24. The Bullock Family -- My second family.
25. Cecily (Vincent) Buell
26. Photos
27. Flowers
28. The United States of America
29. Those who sacrifice so much to defend our country
30. Handel's Messiah
31. Debussy's Clair de Lune
32. My car
33. My father's job
34. Ford Motor Company
35. Baseball
36. Craft Projects
37. Quiet moments during the day
38. Nap Time
39. High Heels
40. Bethany Hansen
41. An Education -- After studying politics and governments around the world, to be a woman in this time of the world with the freedoms and opportunities that I have is an incredible blessing.
42. The Scriptures
43. Music
44. My room mates -- All 14 of them. For everything they taught me about being an adult, taking care of myself, and how to have fun.
45. Laundry Machines in the same building/house
46. The right to vote
47. Mini-cupcake pans
48. Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp
49. Institute and Seminary
50. A good pair of jeans
51. Cameras
52. Pillows
53. Cardigan sweaters
54. Proactive -- For finally helping me enjoy my face again.
55. Organization
56. A clean room
57. Eternal Families
58. Truth
59. A Prophet on the Earth
60. Joseph Smith and the Restoration of the Gospel
61. Sacrifices of my forefathers, and the choices they made that led our family here
62. Family Heritage
63. The ability to hear, see, experience life around me
64. The ability to communicate with those around me
65. Showers, bubble baths, and hot running water
66. Going out to eat when there is nothing in the pantry
67. Good weather
68. The ocean
69. Fall colors - when the leaves start to change
70. Light
71. A mind that can function
72. A Cinderella doll my grandfather gave me
73. Artwork that I kept since I was 5
74. Erasers
75. Cell phones -- That I can talk to my sister who is 1500 miles away whenever I want too.
76. Being a bridesmaid at all three of my best friend's weddings
77. For having my heart broken -- This is another one that probably demands an explanation. Yes, I am thankful for every boy that has broken my heart because it has taught me two things. One, each one has taught me something about myself, what priorities I had wrong, what I should change in myself. But also, it has taught me what not to look for in a guy, what clues or hints I should take as big red flags as something that will hurt me later on. And I'm grateful for that.
78. Rainstorms
79. Mountains
80. Stars
81. Modern Medicine
82. My green clutch
83. My brown capris
84. MUN
85. Airplanes
86. A voice
87. Cookbooks
88. People who have the ability to play musical instruments
89. Smart people
90. Life experiences
91. Accidents
92. My Passport
93. My identity of me
94. Babies
95. BYU
96. Nap time for the children in my class so I have two hours of relative peace and not having to tell children every minute to sit "criss-cross applesauce"
97. A journal
98. Mr. Schpansky and his fight for me to receive the History Key my senior year of High School
99. Theater

And finally ...
100. Life

Whoo ... that was hard. But like I said ... some of this was for my own benefit. It was interesting to try and think of 100 things to be thankful for. About number 51 I had to start thinking outside of the box.

Happy 100th Post!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

What the eff is a history key?

Darling said...

Haha ... it was something that my final high school did -- each department got to pick one student that exemplified their field. It was completely random ... I had only been there a year. It was an 'honor' thing.

Cecily said...

I'm on your list!!! :D :D
I didn't even know *squee*

You're on my (nonexistent) list *bashful*