Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Something Just Doesn't Feel Right

So it's December 1st.

Which means a lot of things in my book ... Christmas lights, putting up Christmas trees, and most importantly I can start listening to Christmas music officially. [I hate when Christmas music starts too early -- it removes a certain exclusivity that I associate with Christmas music. Maybe its just me ... but even right after Thanksgiving, listening to Christmas music rubs me the wrong way. Like we are too excited to forget Thanksgiving. I take my time for each holiday to relish in its different special aspects/traditions. I don't like moving on too fast. Once again ... that might just be me.]

Anyway ... back to the original reason I started writing this post.

So I woke up this morning, grabbed the one actual Christmas cd that I own, and put it in my car as I drove to work. It is one of my favorite cd's ... Mannheim Steamroller. I love it ... it's what I remember when I look back at my Christmas's at home. The opening notes of the cd hit me and I couldn't help feel the Christmas cheer. But then -- I looked out my car windows on the brown, dry, dead landscape. It just doesn't feel like Christmas when it looks the same outside that it has for the last three months. I am not the biggest fan of cold or snow ... and I hate, hate, HATE ice. Yet, it does not feel like Christmas without at least a snow flurry, or a distinct change in the season. I just don't feel like it should be December or Christmas.

I'm having a heard time thinking about Christmas when I can still run errands in a T-shirt, and when only last week in was in the 70's still.

And I'm trying to think if there was anything else in my last 4 years of my life that really make Christmas come alive. Maybe it really is the snow ... or the drastic change in seasons. Whatever it is ... Texas doesn't have it.

No comments: