While we are discussing my oddities, let us discuss another one.
The Beatles.
Oh, how I love the Beatles. Once again, it is a matter of my upbringing. The Beatles are the one band that I can remember my mother truly loving. She used to have a vinyl copy of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. One of mine and my sister's favorite movies growing up was Help, the ultimate music video. When Beatles' Rock Band came out a few years ago, my dad bought my mom a copy because it came out on her birthday. But once again, a little background. At this point, me and my sister were at BYU, so my parents were empty-nesters. And the only game system my family ever had were two Game Boys that my parents got me and my sister one Christmas that remained practically unused. So my dad borrowed a Wii from work so that my parents could play Beatles' Rock Band.
But it was not until I came home a year or so ago that I really started listening to the Beatles. I knew many of their 'popular' songs, but never had really listened to some of their other music. Then I came home and was once again surrounded by their music.
When I was young, I used to love songs like "Help" and "Twist and Shout." But over the last year or so I have found new favorite songs. Songs that have spoken to me through the words or melodies, rather than songs that are good to dance too. I have learned more about John and Paul's creative process as they created a musical revolution that affects how music is produced today.
I have never had a favorite band that I always follow growing up. But I would have to say now that the Beatles are now on that list.
If you are so inclined, listen to the Beatles. Learn about their creative process. It is an intriguing story.
No comments:
Post a Comment