Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Walk to Remember

It is amazing to think that it has been 10 years since 9/11.  On the one hand it has effected so much of our country and our lives, from the subsequent wars that have been fought to the changes in transportation that still happen today.  But on the other hand, it seems to be a different lifetime, something still surreal even after 10 years.

Just like my grandparents who remembered where they were when President Kennedy was shot on November  22, 1963, my generation will always remember where they were when the Twin Towers were struck on 9/11.  I was only in 8th grade at Frost Middle School in Michigan.  I was walking to 2nd period drafting.  I believe that it was too early in the event for anyone to really know what was going on, but as I walked down the hallway, there stood my drafting teacher and the art teacher.  They were watching a TV in silence, and when the bell rung, my drafting teacher rolled the TV into the room and announced that we were going to watch the news.  I even remember the principal coming on the PA system asking teachers not to show the news.  But my teacher decided that we needed to watch the news because it was a day to remember.  I remember watching the screen when the second plane hit.  The first tower had already been hit, but I remember watching the second plane hitting the tower.  I remember watching the first tower fall.  My dad had either traveled or was going to travel, so of course my little 13 year old mind started freaking out.

I was not old enough to be completely informed of the situation and what was going on ... but I was old enough to understand the fear and the knowledge that our world had changed in that instance.

I remember watching the news that day.  I remember watching a lot of news in the days after that event.  I remember watching coverage of the attack on the Pentagon and Flight 93 in Pennsylvania.  I remember a lot of things.  But most of all, I will remember that walk down the hallway and first hearing about the attacks in New York and Washington D.C.

No comments: