Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thanks To My Father

I am the first to agree that I am a little ... well, odd.  There are things about me that are very odd, like how when I fall asleep I have preconceived dreams that I think about to help me sleep or how I am afraid of the color orange.

But here is another example of my oddness.  But first a little background.  My dad has worked for Ford Motor Company my whole life.  Therefore I have grown up around cars.  It was one of my favorite things growing up - going to the auto show.  Especially in Detroit ... one of my favorite places because it is one of the biggest and one of the most important auto shows.  Even when I was grown up it was what my dad and I would do together (because no one else really could tolerate us when we did).  Any way ... I digress.

Because of this upbringing ... I have this very strong association with cars.  Especially with my friends.  I remember cars, they are strongly correlated in my mind with events, with people.  I link cars with a lot of important events in my life, with dear friends. 

Even now ... years later, whenever I see a car that I have associated with something ... I have this fleeting hope that my friends will be in that car.  Of course they are not because there is more than just the one make, model and color of that car.  But I still hope.  For example whenever I see a purple Dodge Caravan [I think] I will always think of the Bullocks (and for the longest time I even remembered the license plate ... but I'm not that creepy anymore).  Or whenever I see a tan '08 Ford Escape I remember my sophomore year driving around with Becca and Brenna, singing along to music on the top of our lungs.  

Cars are very much part of my identity.  Almost every time that I am driving around I see some car that I have some link to in my mind.  Anyway ... it's weird, but that's how my mind works.  Just so you know!

No comments: