After what has been a thoroughly dry cinematic season (with Toy Story 3 being the only real exception) - there is life again at the theaters. And two of the movies have stricken me with their social commentary on what is increasingly becoming a sorry picture of social decay.
The first was Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps. No, I have never seen the first Wall Street movie nor had a desire too, though now I am intrigued enough that if I was on TV I would watch it. It was a good movie - good acting, and a good story plot [up to the last 5 minutes, then it just went of the deep end and lost me -- it just wasn't plausible!]. I had my doubts going into it because I remember Shia LeBoulf as the goofy kid in Even Stevens. I didn't think he could hold himself in a dramatic role. I take back my doubt because he truly did an outstanding job in the movie. It was steeped in technical drama - which I actually appreciated. I actually had to think and try to follow the jargon and technical language in order to understand and enjoy the movie. Thank you to the directors who do not assume their audience to be stupid - it makes for more intelligent movies.
It was interesting to watch on the 'other side' of the economic struggle - even if we do not know if there will ever be an end to it. The fact that money and reputation is so fleeting - one moment you have millions and a perfect life, and then the next you are left with nothing thanks to a rumor that comes from nothing. The momentary pleasures in the world that society is grasping at are fleeting at best and simply unattainable in reality.
The movie was extremely thought triggering as my party kept talking about the movie all weekend long. I hope that the picture it depicts of the government's involvement in the economic crisis is no where near the truth - but I fear that is simply ignorance and naivety.
The second movie I saw was The Social Network. This is one I will purchase and keep for a long time. Not because it was a good movie - because it was. The acting was phenomenal [though I do not think Timberlake deserves the Oscar buzz surrounding him already, maybe a Golden Globe or Guild award, but not an Oscar], and the writing was simply outstanding [Sorkin is my hero: intelligent, witty, fast - he's all that and a bag of chips]. No, I want that movie because I want to show my children what is wrong with my generation.
Yes, after seeing that movie I fear for the future. For many reasons. First of all, that our future leaders come out of college situations like those and some how still have brain matter left over is a miracle to me. Second, that there is such distrust, and need for distrust in our modern day world is so crushingly sad to me. Third, I fear for society when the image and the digital version of life is more important than the actual moment. Justin Timberlake's character - Shawn Parker the Napster guy - mentions that we will live moments over and over again in this new digital world because the pictures will forever be on the Internet so you can relive that party last weekend. But I see it as we are so consumed and worried about taking the pictures of the moment and not enjoying it for what it is - LIFE.
The movie disturbed me on so many levels, and made me want to try and change what I value. [Yes I know it is ironic to be talking about such a movie on an electronic journal - but this is not where my priorities lie as seen by the constant neglect of this website.] The Internet, Facebook, all digital media is good in some respect. It's ability to keep us in contact with family and friends, to get information out and to receive information. But if we are not careful - we will start taking the invented reality at full value and start to believe that it is actually reality.
I truly enjoy movies that make you think and contemplate. I mean, we're still talking about these movies, for heaven's sake!
No comments:
Post a Comment