Saturday, October 16, 2010

When I Get Restless

When I get restless ... I do one of two things.

Do "projects" - baking, photography, crafts, etc.

Or

I shop - usually for the aforementioned projects.

I must be getting really restless.

1st Craft Project of the Day: Magnets


Yes, you heard right. Magnets.

I have made my own magnets. I got the idea from someone else's blog (she's the wife of a guy I used to know my Freshman year in High School who moved to Florida half way through the year - but that's irrelevant) but I took the original idea and ran with it. She made these adorable magnets out of buttons. I made a couple of those too. While making the first button magnets as a gift for someone else, my mother and I were talking about what we should bring to our visiting teaching sisters. One of them has dietary issues, so we needed something else to take. Then while out shopping ... (I need to find a better way to release my pent up energy) ... I saw these wooden, painted pieces that just screamed for magnets! I gave them the more "Fall-ish" magnets, just in case they were like our family and don't really do anything for Halloween.


They were extremely easy. Just a hot glue gun and magnets (and the thing you want to make a magnet - but that's a given).


Then today ... (while shopping again for stuff for the cake pops) ... I found these adorable Halloween pieces. So I went ahead and made some more. It's an addiction.


And they are so easy to make. I made the lot of these, plus about 15 more in about an hour. That's right - an hour for about 65 magnets. It is incredibly easy and simply adorable.


I think my favorite is the magnet I made out of my old iPod shuffle. I found it while scrounging in my drawer today. Why not?


2nd Project of the Day: Cake Pops

So like I said ... I usually shop in order to help fulfill these projects. And recently I bought the Bakerella cook book - Cake Pops. I'm really into this cupcake/sweets/cake groove right now so it was only natural that I wanted to make these sweets for company today. My first time at them. Not incredibly smart, but what the heck, right? Learned a lot for next time ... so we'll have to see how they go. They look yummy - and as Angie Dudley (Bakerella) says, when it deals with cake and frosting, even mistakes taste sweet.


This is the only picture I have of the process. The cake was really moist. So major tip for next time - leave the cake uncovered when letting it sit over night. Guess I'll just have to try again!


The finished products. They don't look as pretty as the book. But hey -- it's only my first time!

P.S. - Hobby Lobby is now one of my favorite stores.

P.P.S. - Pathetic ... I know.

2 comments:

Lori said...

How random! I found the bakerella website the other day and LOVE it. And, those magnets are about the cutest thing EVER!!

Cecily said...

Ok, this is not going to be in line with your resolutions, but this post reminded me of this to-die-for recipe. Oreo truffle balls. Check it out:
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/easy-oreo-truffles-95085.aspx